Saturday 29 December 2012

And now for something different...

One of the Scandinavian weather traits is how fast the temperature can rise and fall. Most people who ski or climb mountains know that extra dry clothing is a must. I say this because after riding in -13 Celsius yesterday i woke up to rain and 6 Celsius today, that's a whopping 19 degrees difference in just 6 hours.

I had planned to ride about 50km`s but had to cut the journey short because although I don't mind most weather, being reduced to have to walk my bike just rubs me up the wrong way! Especially on the bike paths that are right beside a road that is totally snow and ice free. Arrgghh! The reason why it annoys me is that the government are all pro-cycling. They love campaigning to get more people on a bike and out of a car, especially commuters. The problem is that although they love us in their campaign, they simply don't look after the cycle paths... OK, rant over.

Sheet ice with rain on the top. A bit of a nightmare to tell you the truth. I didn`t fall today so I put it down to my Schwalbe marathon winter tyres. Top dog for winter commuting and training.
                           Did I say I hate walking my bike?




I got a Rapha hardshell off my wife for Christmas. A really good jacket for the rain but I have to say that my soft shell is still my all time fave.



The best thing I noted about my ride today was how fast I racked up the miles on my garmin edge 800, even with the walking. If it wasn`t for the freezing garmin abnormalities I had on the previous rides I would have completed the challenge already today. Strava logg here , and Instagram account here

No comments:

Post a Comment